Jacob Nielsen, a renowned usability consultant, once said, “Pay attention to what users do, not what they say.” This genius quote captures the goal of UI/UX design and how to measure user behavior most effectively.
In this article, we’ll compare two product analytical tools, UXCam and Smartlook, so you can decide which will help you begin paying attention to what your users are doing. We review features, pricing, use cases, and other metrics to help you make an informed decision. In addition, we’ll offer an alternative with some additional innovative features you may want to consider.
What is UXCam?
UXCam is a user experience (UX) analytics platform that provides valuable insights into how users interact with digital products. The tool allows businesses to visualize and understand user behavior by recording and analyzing app sessions. UXCam tracks gestures, taps, scrolls, and other interactions, offering heatmaps and session replays that enable businesses to pinpoint usability issues, optimize user interfaces, and enhance overall user experience.
What is Smartlook?
Smartlook is a comprehensive qualitative analytics tool focused on understanding user behavior through session recordings and heatmaps. It captures user interactions on websites and mobile apps, providing detailed insights into how visitors navigate and engage with digital interfaces. The key features include session replays, heatmaps, and event tracking. By offering visual data, Smartlook enables businesses to identify pain points, optimize conversion funnels, and enhance the overall user experience based on real user interactions.
UXCam vs Smartlook: features comparison
UXCam and Smartlook are very similar product analytics tools. However, each software has recently introduced new features to set itself apart. Review the features below for more on how these tools are alike and what makes them different.
- Session replay: Recordings of user visits that help designers understand customer journeys, discover pain points, and improve UX.
- Heatmaps: Interactive maps that identify popular and unpopular page elements. UXCam’s heatmaps automatically generate simple insights to help designers take action.
- Funnels analytics: Breakdown of the user journey based on conversion rate. AI helps marketers identify and adjust funnels to maximize outcomes.
- Smart events: No-code solution to creating events directly from heatmaps and session replays.
- Segments: Reports that analyze, segment, and identify patterns based on user behavior.
- Session recordings: User sessions are recorded and filtered based on duration, country, IP, device, and events. Quickly jump to important events with the interactive timeline.
- Heatmaps: 100% of sessions are automatically included in heatmaps without data sampling. Track clicks, movements, and scroll behavior on a single page image.
- Funnels: Follow users through apps, screens, pop-ups, and events to see when they convert or drop off.
- Crash reports: An extension of session recordings explicitly designed to document site crashes.
- User events: Customizable event and retroactive event statistics with automated tracking.
UXCam vs Smartlook: use case comparison
Next, let’s look at how companies use these platforms to improve their user experience.
- Costa Coffee increased registrations by 15% by tracking custom events for all registration metrics.
- Virtual cardiac rehabilitation app Recora reduced support tickets by 142% by changing their join session process. The problem on mobile was discovered through heat mapping and session replays.
- Housing.com achieved five million downloads after using UXCam’s actionable insights on specific app features.
Smartlook use cases
- Popular cricket sports app CricHeroes leveraged user journey insights to streamline their interface and increase in-app messaging.
- Alza.cz, a top-ranked eCommerce platform, uses Smartlook to test new designs and segment product performance.
- Events increased ROI by 400% for eCommerce SaaS tool Disvio.
UXCam vs Smartlook: user reviews comparison
User feedback is crucial in determining which product is right for your company. Because UXCam and Smartlook are so similar, we highly recommend reviewing what actual marketers, UI/UX designers, and business owners are saying.
Based on 154 G2 reviews, UXCam has a 4.7/5-star rating. Here’s what people love about the software:
- “UXCam has helped the UX team bring data to decision making.”
- “Truly actionable, real-time insights, supported by a team that really cares.”
- “It's my main tool for my everyday work.”
On the other hand, here’s where the software is falling short for some users:
- “Use this solution if you don’t mind huge delays in getting your data, or worse, simply loss of data.”
- “Bad pricing model.”
Smartlook has a 4.6/5-star rating on G2 based on 869 reviews. It’s important to note that it has nearly eight times the number of reviews compared to UXCam.
Here are some positive words about the software:
- “The best real app tracker.”
- “A must-have for website analytics.”
- “Thanks to Smartlook, I have been able to improve my clients’ experience.”
And some feedback from frustrated users:
- “Unfulfilled promises.”
- “Doesn’t capture all the sessions we know happened.”
UXCam vs Smartlook: pricing comparison
One of the differences between these platforms is that Smartlook is transparent about its pricing. If you want to use UXCam, you are asked to reach out, tell them about your organization and need, and then receive a quote. However, after a bit of digging, we’ve found more information on the pricing.
UXCam and Smartlook offer free plans; we’ll include what’s provided below.
UXCam offers 3,000 sessions for free, along with auto-capture on gestures, frustration signals, user analytics, and basic filters.
Pricing is hidden on their website, but we have reason to believe that pricing starts at $199 a month. You’ll gain access to 10 funnels, seven dashboards, heatmaps, screen flow, frustration signals, and more features that aren’t included in the free version.
The Enterprise tier includes an API and CSV export, structured onboarding support, a dedicated customer success manager, and unlimited funnels.
The free version includes 3,000 monthly sessions, one-month data storage, historical heatmaps data, and Slack integration.
For $55 a month, you’ll get 5,000 monthly sessions, product analytics, daily reporting, exports to CSV, all integrations, and dev tool add-ons.
The Enterprise plan isn’t priced on the website, but Smartlook promises it will be “tailored to your needs.” You’ll have to talk to a salesperson for more information.
Alternative to UXCam & Smartlook: Fullview
UXCam and Smartlook are excellent platforms for session recording and heatmaps; however, if you want to dig deeper and better understand your customers, we recommend trying Fullview. Here’s why:
- No downloads: Fullview is simple to integrate, requiring just 15 minutes and a few lines of code that you need to paste into your app.
- GDPR compliant: Fullview is based in the EU, and all data is stored on EU servers, ensuring 100% GDPR compliance.
- No sampling: All user sessions are auto-recorded and there is no sampling, giving you the most complete picture of user behavior in your web app.
- Automated console warnings: Unlike UXCam and Smartlook, Fullview provides and documents console log errors, helping your developers and UI/UX designers jump straight to interesting moments during a replay with an interactive replays timeline.
- Cobrowsing: Hop on a one-click cobrowsing call with a user live in your app and take control of their screen to understand the issue better and resolve it quicker.
- Diagnose bugs: Console logs are available on session replays and cobrowsing calls. This give you relevant technical information from a user’s system so you can diagnose bugs and troubleshoot effortlessly.
- Transparent pricing: Plans start at $49/seat for cobrowsing and $79/month for 10,000+ session replays.
- Live and historical sessions: Access live or past user sessions.
- Filtering and segmentation: Quickly surface interesting sessions or pin filter combinations to your dashboard for seamless accessibility.
Wrapping things up
Understanding user behavior is essential for businesses. Surveys and interviews only go so far; that’s why product analytics software like UXCam and Smartlook are so helpful. However, if you want a comprehensive view of your user’s journey and the means to fix problems, Fullview is a far superior tool.
- Interaction Design Foundation
- UXCam customers
- Smartlook customer stories
- UXCam G2
- Smartlook G2
- SaaS Alternatives
Sources last checked 24-Nov-2023